Forum Thread: First Impression Advice 6 Tips to Make an Unforgettable First Impression

In this video I'll provide you 6 tips to make an unforgettable first impression that can be used for any encounter from a job interview to a date to a meeting with a potential client. All of which are backed by research. At the end of the video I'll also reveal one thing you should never do when trying to make a great first impression.

According to a Princeton University study in 2006 it only takes 1/10th of a second to make a snap judgement of someone's trustworthiness and attractiveness based on facial appearance alone. It's crazy to think how quickly people make first impressions of us!

What I found most fascinating about doing research on the topic of making a great first impression was that it's actually hard for people to make snap judgements on Competence. Humans only tend to care about trustworthiness at first to quickly determine friend or foe. This is likely a built in survival mechanism.

I think one of the key takeaways of this video if your trying to make a first impression for a job interview is to not worry so much about showing off your skills. What really matters is creating an emotional connection thought small talk where both parties have common ground.

Interestingly, when I went to software development school our teachers kept telling us that the people who got great jobs weren't the ones that had the most skill....they were the ones that you could envision sharing a beer with. Looks like the research confirms this! Skills can be taught, but the emotional connection is the primary concern.

Be the First to Respond

Share Your Thoughts